13 October 2016
|On the Issue of “ Independence of Hong Kong” A Statement by the Executive Committee of the Hong Kong Association of the Heads of Secondary Schools||中文原文|
- We do not agree to the advocacy of the independence of Hong Kong. We disapprove of any intention or action that would impose political interference in schools, or any action that attempts to instigate pro-independence stance in schools or brain wash our students.
- We believe that the school is a place for students to learn and grow. In that regard, it is the duty of the school, based on educational principles, to provide appropriate means and platforms for students to express their concerns and discuss, from multiple perspectives, the various issues related to the future of Hong Kong.
- Schools will scrupulously abide by the spirit of school-based management, uphold professional autonomy as well as their consistently effective means and mechanisms to handle activities that take place in schools. The professional autonomy and school-based mechanisms should be respected by all, both within and beyond the school walls.
- School principals and teachers will continue their quest for professionalism in response to trends of social development and globalization. We will dedicate our utmost efforts in the pursuit of noble education visions, universal values as well as the nurture of citizenship with a global outlook amongst our students.
- Being the future masters of Hong Kong, students should be dearly treasured by schools, society and the government. They need much care, guidance and encouragement so that they are able to shoulder the responsibilities to explore and contribute to build up a better future.